Before You Submit An Application
- Who is eligible to apply for electives? To be eligible, domestic visiting students must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled and in good standing at an accredited MD or DO degree-granting institution in the United States;
- Complete all clerkships required by the home school, and be in the final phase of the curriculum by the time they enroll in the elective;
- Be covered by malpractice or liability insurance during the term of the elective; and,
- Have personal health insurance coverage.
- When does the 24-25 application open? The June 2024-May 2025 catalog will be set to View Only on March 4, 2024 in VSLO. Students may begin to apply on March 11, 2024.
- What is the deadline for applications? Eligible visiting students must submit their applications in VSLO at least 60 days prior to the start date. There are no exceptions, because VSLO automatically closes out applications at the 60-day deadline.
- What is required to submit an application? Varies; please see current requirements in VSLO.
- What fees are associated with electives? In addition to any VSLO-associated fees, accepted students are required to pay a $100 tuition fee per semester of enrollment. For example, if a student is enrolled for both Fall and Spring semesters, the total charge will be $200. If the student only enrolls for electives in one semester, the total charge will be $100 regardles of how many electives are taken within that semester.
- Can I setup an independent rotation outside of VSLO? No, eligible visiting students may only select from the courses/blocks listed in VSLO.
After You Submit an Application
- When should I expect to hear about a decision? All decisions are made at least 45 days in advance, but visiting students generally hear sooner than this. Please do not email to inquire about a decision as ALL applications receive a decision at least 45 days prior.
After You Receive a Decision
- I didn't receive my preferred choice; can I be waitlisted? No, visiting students are not waitlisted for electives. You can accept an offer and drop it later; however, keep in mind that holding a spot you do not intend to keep prevents the department from scheduling a student who can commit.
- Can I modify the dates of my rotation? No, visiting students may only enroll in the courses/blocks listed in VSLO.
- What post-acceptance requirements must I submit in VSLO? A comprehensive list of post-acceptance requirements is listed in VSLO once you accept the rotation. These include clinical training requirements (HIPAA, Infection Control), immunization forms, etc.
- When are post-acceptance requirements due? All files are due in VSLO at least 30 days prior to your start date. Though rare, WCM may revoke an offer if a student misses this deadline and does not communicate with email@example.com about any difficulties associated with the post-acceptance requirements. The Office of the Registrar will work with students on this deadline if they are having technical or administrative difficulties.
- Do you accept the AAMC Immunization Form? No.
- Does Weill Cornell offer housing? We generally point visiting students to the Weill Cornell Housing Office directly to inquire about on and off campus housing options at (212) 746-1001 or firstname.lastname@example.org. They have more information on their website at http://www.med.cornell.edu/housing. There may be additional, third-party resources available for medical students by searching the web.
After You Accept Your Offer
- When will I receive reporting instructions? Orientation emails will be distributed to accepted students about 1 week prior to your start date. These emails will include reporting, EMR, attire/scrubs, and evaluation information.
After Your Rotation
- How do I receive an evaluation/grade? All evaluations are submitted via OASIS. Students may log in after their rotation to download a copy, or universities may request a copy by emailing registrar @ med.cornell.edu. WCM faculty are not obliged to complete forms outside of OASIS.